This first thing we need to do is create a deck of cards. In order to make a deck of cards we must first understand what a deck of cards is.
A pack is made up of 52 cards (excluding jokers)
Each card in the deck has three attributes:
- Its name
- Its value:
- Its suit:
- Spades, Diamonds,Hearts,Clubs.
In Python it is easy to create this full deck of cards using 2 lists and a couple of for loops:
Here we have created a list of 52 cards, with each card consisting of a tuple of 2 values:
Once we have created the deck of cards it is useful to create a few helper functions to deal with the pack.
- getRealName – This returns the card’s full name in a human readable form
- getValue – This return’s the card’s value, useful for calculations
Creating the mainScreen
In order to create the main game screen we first need to come up with a plan! You can have a look at my plan to the right of the screen.
From the plan I can see that I am going to need:
- A MainScreen() function
- A function to display whose turn it is
- A function to display each player’s hand
- A function to get input from the player
- A function to calculate & display who is the winner / loser.
- A function to calculate a player’s score.
- playerTurn variable to keep track of whose turn it is.
- A round variable to see if it is round one or 2.
- A list for each player to contain the cards that they have been dealt.