- Very accurate fast production.
- Removes humans from dangerous jobs.
- Caused mass unemployment.
- Major safety issues are missed due to rapid up-scaling of production ( e.g. Toyota)
- Far too small for a human to make by hand
- Whole process needs to be 100% clean, therefore a hermetically sealed environment is needed.
- The whole process needs to be 100% exact or the processor will fail.
- Can be used for low volume, bespoke items, adapted from a template.
- Very cheap to print plastic objects (compared to injection moulding)
- Not very accurate so far.
- Slow printing times, so not good for high volumes.
Pros and Cons of ICT
Advantages of ICT in manufacturing
- Very fast and accurate production
- Don’t get sick / need holidays / sleep
- Don’t often make errors (but when they do they are multiplied by thousands…)
- Some items (cars / trucks) are too heavy for humans to lift by hand.
- Dangerous / hazardous jobs ( spray painting) can be done by robots.
- Very high setup costs
- Long lead time
Create an A3 poster showing how ICT is used in the manufacturing industry.