A super computer is usually a cluster of very powerful computers. They are stored in large buildings and kept cool be special refrigeration systems.
Super computers are used where very complex calculations are used or where massive data sets need to be processed within a specific time frame.
They are mainly used for:
- Weather forecasting
- Scientific experiments, such as the Genome project and protein folding.
- Mass surveillance, such as the American PRISM programme.
- Can perform far more calculations per second than any other computer type.
- Only machines capable of true AI
- Very expensive to develop, install and maintain
Image source – bit.ly/1iV45C0