A laptop is a portable version of a Desktop PC where all of the components and peripherals are included within the device itself. A laptop usually includes a:
- Wireless / Wired networking
- USB Ports
- SD Card reader.
Uses of a laptop computer
- Laptops were originally invented as device that could be used instead of the office/home pc when the user was away from home.
- Very popular with businesses and professional who need work on the go whilst travelling and or community.
- Popular replacement for Desktop PCS in smaller homes or where the user wants to do work in bed / on the sofa.
- More recently many users have entirely replaced their home desktop pc with a laptop, due to improvements in processing power and screen size.
- Some laptops are marketed as ‘gaming laptops’ and include an top-end graphics card.
- More portable than a Desktop PC
- Smaller profile, takes up less office space
- All required components are included in one package.
- If a component breaks they can be difficult /expensive to repair
- Smaller screen size makes some uses impractical ( photo / video editing)
- They are more expensive for the price than desktop PCs in terms of computing power.
- Usually contain low-performance graphics cards meaning that you can’t play newer computer games
- Battery life isn’t always great