Intranets (mini private internets)
An intranet is a private network that is only accessible to limited group of users, for instance the Employees of company or members of a scout group.
They are used for :
- Sharing hardware resources ( such as printers, scanners, etc)
- Allowing users to access their files from multiple locations.
- File sharing within the company.
- Company wide file backup
Advantages of Intranets
- Files can be shared within a company that you don’t outsiders to see ( employee records, new product information)
- Intranet sites ( websites only available inside an intranet) often run faster than external sites.
- Expensive hardware like printers can be shared, so you don’t need a printer for each user.
- Technically difficult tasks such as automated backups can be performed by one person, who backs up everyone’s files.
Extranets are a small portion of an intranet available externally to authorised users.